Local & Regional Hyperthermia
What it is?
NIIM Gold Coast is the only clinic in Queensland to offer Local & Regional Hyperthermia services. We are very pleased to one of the few clinics to offer Local Hyperthermia in Australia.
Local & Regional Hyperthermia is a recognised medical modality where the body tissue is heated to higher temperatures to damage or kill cancer cells or to make them more sensitive to radiotherapy, chemotherapy or other therapies.
How it Works
- Cancer Cells with a disorganised and compact vascular structure have difficulty dissipating heat. Hyperthermia may cause cancer cells to undergo apoptosis in direct response to applied heat, this effect being enhanced by the cytotoxic effects if IV Nutrient and Vitamin Therapy.
- Dilation of blood vessels by the local hyperthermia leads to increased oxygenation of tumour, making radiation therapy and absorption of nutrients more effective.
- Heat stress damages the repair mechanisms of the DNA double helix.
- Intense heating causes denatunation and coagulation of cellular proteins leading to cell death (apoptosis).
- Heat shock proteins activate the body’s natural killer cells to attach tumour cells.
- P53 gene which drives apoptosis is activated by hyperthermia (Dr Douwes, St George Klinik)
- Hyperthermia can be synergetic to chemotherapy because of:
1) Increased intra-tumoural during concentration, due to
2) Increased blood flow, and
3) Increased permeability of cell membranes.
4) Increased intra-cellular absorption.
5) Accelerated reaction rate in an increased temperature environment.
- Local heating can lower the intensity of pressure and increase the permeability of vessels.
The Celsius 42 + Hyperthermia at NIIM Gold Coast
This is the latest German System of all local hyperthermia machines.
The Hyperthermia system Celsius TCS is equipped with two treatment electrodes which makes it different from other systems.
With this technical innovation the target area in the body can be (by the control software) precisely subjected to homogeneous temperature control.
Tumours in location deepen within the body can be treated with a carrier frequency of 13.56 MHz.
This ensures a high depth penetration with a net power of 500watts. With this power of 500 watts, this hyperthermia system is able to adjust the energy input to the tumour identity and location for maximum patient benefit.
It ensures high and homogeneous heat in the tumour tissue, with the different size electrodes the energy input directed against the tumour can be controlled.
The treatment of tumours in different parts of the body can be realized with the help of easily movable electrodes on the application arm and on the couch surface.
The cooling system over the electrodes allows for deeper penetration of heat without overheating the patient.
The flexibility of the water coolers over the electrodes allows for body movements.
What is it used for?
- Hyperthermia has been proven to be effective when combined with chemotherapy, radiotherapy and immune modalities eg: IV Nutrient and Vitamin therapy.
- Hyperthermia in conjunction with radiation has to be used with venative intent in patients with early stage cancers of the breast, head and neck, and prostate.
According to peer reviewed scientific publications, hyperthermia has an improvement of 38 degrees (53% vs 15%) in bladder cancer when combined with chemotherapy vs chemotherapy alone. Other cancer types that show a significant response have been Melanoma, Sarcoma, Cervical, Prostate, Rectal, Chest Wall and other recurrent cancers (Wikipedia)
To make an appointment to discuss how Local Hyperthermia Treatments can help you, call us today or contact us online.